PMEL.ORG
“Illegitimi Non Carborundum”
Last Updated: 11/22/2017 07:22

HISTORY, Page 2

shift and space provided by building 375A wasn’t sufficient. Building 1433 along with several others became the next homes for the PMEL school. The school added one shift after another until the course was in session for four six-hour shifts a day.  Lowry was also able to supply special courses for unique equipment and subject matter as well…extending the scope of training beyond that originally established at its inception.  More than 50,000 students graduated from the basic PMEL/Metrology course at Lowry AFB including those from all branches of service as well as from the services of 21 foreign countries under the MAP program.  This was perhaps the only complete school where calibration, adjustment, and repair was taught involving various disciplines including electronics, physical, dimensional, optical, chemical, mechanical, radiac, or combinations of the above. The school was capable of meeting any and all necessary requirements that would keep our military equipment in the most dependable and reliable condition for the defense of this country.  As result of the BRAC decision to close Lowry AFB, Colorado the USAF’s Metrology Program began transitioning to Keesler AFB, Mississippi during the 1992-1993 time-frame where Metrology Training is currently being conducted  The last class graduated from Lowry’s PMEL/Metrology School on 18 March 1994, 35 years after the first class started. This last class included three US Airman and four foreign nationals in attendance.
PMEL.ORG
In Summary: Original course started 1 Apr 1959, had 7 blocks and was 18 weeks long. First Branch Chief was Lt. Col. Lenard Wien. Jul to Dec 1960 ALR32470 18 weeks long, graduated 379 students. In 1960 or 1961 the length was changed to 28 weeks. Near the end of 1962 it was expanded to 35 weeks (ALR32430). First Navy personnel attended training for 19 3/5 weeks starting in November 1963. 1st Lt. Richard G. Taubinger replaced Capt. Howard R. Shaffer as Branch Chief in the 1965. (see note 1 below) 451st SAC Missile Wing expected to release buildings 1432 and 1433 in FY 2/66. Long range plans for buildings had been the commissary and base exchange complex at that time. The school moved from building 375A to building. 1433 in 1969. Prior to 1968 a PMEL career field selectee had to be serving in at least their second enlistment, have been in an electronics field, and had answered correctly 90 or more of the 130 questions on the Pre-Entrance Examination. Also prior to 1968 there was no 5 level in the AFSC which effected promotion to SSgt for some people. Hq. USAF approved a 3/5/7/9 ladder for AFSC 324X0 in 1968. Effective on 3 Jan 68 the school started accepting first term personnel. School length was 46 weeks. 3ABR32430. 3ALR32470 course was discontinued effective 21 Aug 68. On November 22, 1971 the name "PMEL" was changed to "Metrology." (Continued)
PMEL.ORG
“Illegitimi Non Carborundum”

HISTORY, Page 2

PMEL.ORG
shift and space provided by building 375A wasn’t sufficient. Building 1433 along with several others became the next homes for the PMEL school. The school added one shift after another until the course was in session for four six-hour shifts a day. Lowry was also able to supply special courses for unique equipment and subject matter as well…extending the scope of training beyond that originally established at its inception. More than 50,000 students graduated from the basic PMEL/Metrology course at Lowry AFB including those from all branches of service as well as from the services of 21 foreign countries under the MAP program. This was perhaps the only complete school where calibration, adjustment, and repair was taught involving various disciplines including electronics, physical, dimensional, optical, chemical, mechanical, radiac, or combinations of the above. The school was capable of meeting any and all necessary requirements that would keep our military equipment in the most dependable and reliable condition for the defense of this country. As result of the BRAC decision to close Lowry AFB, Colorado t he USAF’s Metrology Program began transitioning to Keesler AFB, Mississippi during the 1992-1993 time-frame where Metrology Training is currently being conducted. The last class graduated from Lowry’s PMEL/Metrology School on 18 March 1994, 35 years after the first class started. This last class included three US Airman and four foreign nationals in attendance. In Summary: Original course started 1 Apr 1959, had 7 blocks and was 18 weeks long. First Branch Chief was Lt. Col. Lenard Wien. Jul to Dec 1960 ALR32470 18 weeks long, graduated 379 students. In 1960 or 1961 the length was changed to 28 weeks. Near the end of 1962 it was expanded to 35 weeks (ALR32430). First Navy personnel attended training for 19 3/5 weeks starting in November 1963. 1st Lt. Richard G. Taubinger replaced Capt. Howard R. Shaffer as Branch Chief in the 1965. (see note 1 below) 451st SAC Missile Wing expected to release buildings 1432 and 1433 in FY 2/66. Long range plans for buildings had been the commissary and base exchange complex at that time. The school moved from building 375A to building. 1433 in 1969. Prior to 1968 a PMEL career field selectee had to be serving in at least their second enlistment, have been in an electronics field, and had answered correctly 90 or more of the 130 questions on the Pre-Entrance Examination. (Continued)
PMEL.ORG